6ft George, looks tiny against the brush, making his way through the brambles, weeks of this, all taken out from the roots.
Out back it didn't get any better, this was the only entrance into and out of the building, through next doors garden, a five bar gate, lots of nettles, then the conservatory door leading to the front door. One way in, one way out, doc leaves a must have.
Jon getting a sweat on. Here is part of the boundary fencing between the council yard, and at the back is the park managers on site residence. As you can see the fencing was not in good shape. So, we replaced all this fencing with new panels, posts and gravel boards.
Here we uncovered in amongst the brambles, timbers which originated from the London docks, they arrived at Wat Tyler to be used in the old site boat museum. We recycled the wood to form a planter at our entrance.
So many thorn bush roots. An absolute nightmare digging them all out by hand. Made all the more painful when you can see how much equipment our neighbours had available to them, we felt like cave men!
This picture shows the fencing which was falling to pieces, and part of the wire boundary fencing, also on its last legs.
Sadly, we had to remove the only decent tree within this area, an apple tree. After, getting appropriate advice we learnt that it was rotten right through, and therefore, it could not be saved. If you look at the picture you can see the hollow middle of the tree, this was just mush.
But wait, we have since planted 12 trees, including... an apple tree. And nearly a thousand pounds worth of plants in total. We are happy to say that they are all growing very well, especially the apple tree!
This picture shows what is going to be the front entrance. The window on the left is going to be replaced with a porchway entrance.
There was only one egress, hence, for the health & safety of us and the public this had to be rectified.
240 tonnes of aggregate were used to level out the area. However, because we are still lower than the yard next door we had water issues to come.
Heavy rain over flows a pond, flowing into our neighbours yard, into our place and out onto the road.
We replaced everything which was flood damaged. Then we set about new drainage, and unblocking the old onsite drainage. Along, with a water pump, the next heavy rain did flood some of the surrounding area, but not us! Drainage worked perfectly!
Another drop, each load was 20 tonne, they just kept coming. Type 2, Type 1, Road Plainings and finally self binding gravel... very expensive stuff that gravel, 2k per load.
The people who delivered the road plainings said, "you wouldn't get a better job if you'd hired professionals". What can we say, other than, anyone need their driveway sorted give Sociability driveways Ltd a call.
The first of 85 fence panels going in, this is the boundary line between the Guard House and the councils yard, solid concrete to get through for every post, we had to use the breaker for every hole, Sociability fencing Ltd?
Road side fencing, lovely comments from all the passing public, most saying how it was such a mess before they didn't even know there was a building there, all overgrown with brambles (we know). An amazing feeling to get a disused building back in use.
The oak tree you can see in this picture is rather special. A gentleman leaving to join the 1st world war battle, planted an oak tree in his garden. Sadly, like so many of our fallen soldiers he did not return home. His family residing from Canvey Island have since, over the years, passed out acorns and saplings from this very tree. This is a sapling from that tree. We have authenticity documents.
Thank you to the chap from Basildon councils building regulations, who came out to check porchway. After chatting about what we were doing, he took time out to provide welcome advice. Ramp installed to building regulations dimensions.
Golden gravel, love this stuff, self-bonding. We purchased this from another county. Apparently, the colour depends upon where in the country you purchase it from.
We used the same company who supplies the National Trust. No expense was spared, everything we did, we did to the highest of standards.
Bit of advice, this gravel is great for wheelchair users and fits in with the parks surroundings.
Bird boxes and bird feeders. One of the boxes already has residents.
We have just about every form of fruit and vegetable growing well. It's amazing, we planted so many varieties, we were even planting them in the dark. Yet, they're all growing so well.
Easy access for wheelchair users.
We paid special attention to biodiversity and kept the surrounding areas of Sites of Special Scientific Interest in mind throughout the project. Including a wide variety of plants which attract bees and butterflies.
Bathroom, including electric shower, bath, toilet, sink, all out. Unbelievable cork tiles under the lino, took two days just to get them out.
Once everything was out. Screened the floor, new window due to strict dimensions required for a disabled toilet and hand rails.
Lounge, window on the left is where the new entrance would be installed. Oil filled radiators not enviromentally friendly.
We had problems with plaster falling off the walls when it was painted, nothing else for it, we had the whole building plastered.
Hallway, painting, new industrial carpet tiles, our logos in decals, new heater, new lights, fire door on conservatory door replacing the old front door.
New porchway entrance from inside. Industrial carpet, notice board, and two door entrance to prevent the cold.
Conservatory, changed some of the window units which were blown. Couple more have since gone.
Plastered brick walls, new rubber mat flooring.
A thousand pounds worth of bike tools.
Door leading into the conservatory. Changed the old door as the entrance was about 4 inches high. This is a low threshold door for wheelchair users.